Sunday, April 5, 2009

The perils of past mistakes!!!

So Friday, I am being a good girl and doing my two mile walk when my phone rings. Uh oh it's the boys' school in particular one of the boy's teachers. Well I am walking around their school so I might as well walk inside and see what she needs or what happened. Now I have been very lucky my boys are good kids. God has blessed me with children who know right from wrong and try to make good choices. I am far from calling them perfect but they on the whole have been very good kids especially at school. Friday changed all that for sure. My son received D-hall. I didn't really believe I'd get all three of my older boys through elementary school without any of them getting D-hall but I hoped they would. I was surprised at what he did to deserve D-hall though. What he did though has brought me to have to decide do I tell my kids of my own moral shortcomings and mistakes I made in my past. My son let someone copy his paper and unfortunately I remember several times I have to say I made the same mistake as a kid. My son has one of the kindest hearts I have ever known and helping a friend comes quite naturally to him. After I talked to him I realized he never realized he was breaking the honor code. He just thought he was helping someone not receive a zero. I decided D-hall is punishment enough because I can easily say that now that he realizes what he did was wrong I can guarantee it will never happened again. There are so many more mistakes I made and I always wanted to be honest with my children but now my reality is what do I share and what do I not share and is it easier to believe someone who has made the mistake or someone who hasn't......Hmm I'm gonna put some hours into this question because I never wanted to be a parent who says 'Do as I say not as I've done".

No comments:

Brayden's First Haircut

Brayden's First Haircut
No More Baby Hair