Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Long time soccer mom becomes football mom and is stunned

So I have been a soccer mom for almost eight years now. My kids have played other sports like golf and baseball, but I always had one playing soccer. This year though, Ryan decided to become a football player. I thought to myself no way, you are almost the smallest kid your age. My husband and I discussed it and we decided we should let him try it. James, of course, played peewee football and loved it. He also probably was the smallest one out there because even now he's only 5'8". (Which if he reads this, he probably is going to kill me.) Okay, sorry now I'm rambling. Okay back to becoming a football mom. So now you all know, I have four sons: Wade plays indoor and outdoor soccer, Ryan is playing football (which means he practices four days a week), Justin about to start drum lessons and a 10 month who Thank God can not ask to play a sport, and my oldest child oops, I mean my husband playing softball (he thinks he has to practice twice a week besides playing a game on Thursday nights) which means I am a little busy these days. So I know football is Texas' real past time and I knew he would have to practice everyday almost except Wednesdays (which is now my favorite day of the week) and I knew coaches yell a lot, that it is a very rough sport and how intense Dads were about their sons, but what surprised me the most was how intense Everyone including the Referees could be. So none of you are going to believe this story because if you told it to me I would think you were making it up, but unfortunately, it is the truth. So I have to admit I have been to games and I have yelled and I unfortunately, have even told a referee bad call myself (not something I am proud of) but to be honest I have yelled. So last Saturday, we're at Ryan's first football game and my husband is working the chains. There was this guy watching our game standing next to my husband ( not anyone who even has a kid on our team just a Loki-loo from the game before ours) my husband says the guy said "that ref must be blind if he doesn't see all the holding going on". The guy didn't yell it because I didn't hear it and I was only three feet away and I didn't hear the guy. So what happens next, well the referee runs off the middle of the field at the guy with his fists raised and starts screaming obscenities right in the man's face now even I at this point would have shoved the referee, but no, surprisingly the man calmly walks away. Everyone on the sidelines even the coaches are so stunned because while this all happened the kids on the field were in the middle of a play (and that particular ref was the ref in the middle of the field with the kids). Now these sweet little darlings who look so cute in their little Dallas Cowboy and Washington Redskin outfits are staring at the referee who instead of refereeing is attacking a man on the sidelines. Now someone goes and gets the President of the Football Association and he comes and escorts the referee out of the area. He then comes back explains, apologizes and promises to all of us parents that the referee will never ref for this association again. There was silence from everyone, including every child there that day and it went on from the time the referee attacked the man to when the referee was escorted away and lasted several minutes. All I could think about was does this happen all the time because if it does it explains what is wrong with the youth today!!!!! The strangest thing to me was after the silence the game went on and the parents were still yelling the whole game. All I can say is this is going to take a lot of getting used to.

No comments:

Brayden's First Haircut

Brayden's First Haircut
No More Baby Hair